The Benelli M4 is the civilian equivalent to the U.S. Marines M1014. It is a semi automatic, gas operated shotgun with a tubular magazine. It weighs about 8.4Lbs. which is a little heavier than the Remington 1100. It comes standard with ghost ring sights and has a pica tinny rail for mounting optics. The U.S. Marines use the military version designated the M1014 as a combat shotgun and report excellent performance.
I just bought my M4 for $1499.00 from my local Scheels Sporting Goods. The push over the edge for me was a $200 rebate from Benelli. That brings the purchase price down to $1299.00, Not bad for the ultimate combat proven tactical shotgun. I also discovered Dave’s Metal Works who provides quality aftermarket parts for popular brand name shotguns. I ordered the two piece tube extension from Dave’s for $75.00. The extended magazine is available as a one piece tube or a two piece add on extension. The military version M1014 uses the one piece tube. To install the one piece tube requires the factory tube be removed by applying heat to loosen the LocTite. I decided to install the two piece add on extension tube because I just couldn’t bring myself to apply heat to my new $1300.00 shotgun. I might add that the “add on” extension works flawlessly and I’m glad I used it. The total cost after rebate for my M4 with 9 shot capacity is $1374.00. Yes, 9 shots, 7 in the magazine, one in the chamber, and one floated on top of the carrier. More than I wanted to pay but I also took advantage of a 6 month interest free offer to further rationalize buying my new shotgun. It is a fantastic well made shotgun with excellent fit and finish.
The Benelli M4 is a 12 gauge, semi automatic shotgun that has a stock magazine capacity of four 3 inch shells or five 2 3/4 inch shells. The addition of a magazine extension increases capacity by two rounds. The capacity with extension is 9 rounds. 7 shells in the magazine, 1 in the chamber, and an additional round can be floated between the bolt and the carrier for a total of nine 2 3/4″ shells. The military version M1014 has a one piece magazine tube to provides the 9 round capacity.
It is gas operated by two small stainless steel pistons that directly operate the bolt. The gas system is considered to be auto regulating for 3″ shells or 2 3/4″ shells and for different power loads. It can even handle low power non-lethal rounds by manually cycling the bolt. The gas system is also considered to be self cleaning and requires little if any maintenance.
Benelli M4 Specifications
- TACTICAL, PISTOL GRIP
- Desert Camo, 12-GA, 3″, MSRP $1919
- TACTICAL, PISTOL GRIP
- Black Synthetic, 12-GA, 3″, MSRP $1799
- Drilled and Tapped Receiver with Picatinny Rail
- Standard Chokes
- Comes with a modified standard choke. The longer Benelli Crio choke tubes provide a more gradual constriction resulting in up to 13% more pellets in a tighter pattern.
- Modular Stock System
- Comes with a matte black synthetic pistol grip stock or a standard stock.
- Tactical SPECIFICATIONS
- Shoots both 2-3/4″ AND 3″ 12 gauge shells.
- ITEM NUMBER 11707 black with pistol grip stock
- BARREL LENGTH 18.5″
- OVERALL LENGTH 40.0″
- AVERAGE WEIGHT 7.8 lbs. MSRP $1799
- Item number 11717 camo, MSRP $1919
- Magazine Capacity: 4+1 three inch shells, 5 + 1 2 3/4″ shells
- Type of Sights: Ghost ring
- Length of Pull: 14-3/8″
Overview of Benelli M4
1. Ghost ring sights – adjustable using the rim of a shotgun shell.
2. Tubular magazine – standard magazine for U.S. market holds four 3″ or five 2 3/4″ shells. Extended magazine can be either an add on extension or a single piece tube. The extended magazine increases shotgun capacity to 9 rounds including floating a shell between the bolt and carrier. Dave’s Metal Works. The magazine follower has a raised red dot for visual indication of empty magazine.
3. Barrel – 18.5 ” barrel
4. Bolt handle – sturdy bolt handle. Allows for manual operation when changing the round in the chamber and for operation when using low power rounds that won’t cycle the semiautomatic action. Larger after market bolt handles available. Dave’s Metal Works.
5. Bolt – two lug, rotating, locking bolt
6. Mounting rail – standard rail for optics
7. Standard butt stock – butt stock has pistol grip which I like and has 14.375″ LOP.
8. Safety – standard push button cross bolt safety is reversible for left handed operation.
9. Shell release lever – releases a shell from the magazine onto the carrier and also locks the bolt back in open position.
10. Shell carrier – provides a ramp for loading the magazine, and lifts shells released from magazine into the bolt path for loading into the chamber. A round can be floated between the bolt and on top of the carrier to increase capacity to 9 rounds.
11. Sling attachments – left and right attachments on the stock.
12. Bolt release – releases the bolt to slam forward during loading.
13. Trigger group locking pin – remove pin to remove trigger group from receiver.
1. Free Carrier Operation – Unlike most shotguns, the M4 does not always release a round from the magazine every time the bolt travels reward. Only when the trigger is pulled is a round released from the magazine. This provides great flexibility by allowing the chambered round to be removed and changed while leaving the rounds in the magazine in place.
The free carrier also allows for floating an additional round on top of the carrier and under the bolt resulting in a maximum 9 round capacity.
How to float a extra round on the carrier
a. With the magazine loaded and a shell in the chamber
b. Pull the bolt rearward just until the extractor releases the shell
c. Allow that shell to fall down onto the carrier
d. Load another shell into the chamber
e. Push the metal end of the shell on the carrier down to allow the bolt to slam forward
If you did it right there will be a full magazine, a round in the chamber, and an additional round on top of the carrier.
Note: If the bolt is pulled back too far during floating it will reset and release the carrier to load another round. If this happens, remove the chambered shell and allow the bolt to slam forward. Begin the float loading sequence again.
Benelli M4 Super 90 Overview Video
Incoming search terms:
- benelli m4
- Benelli M4 Super 90
- benelli m4 shotgun
- M4 Super 90
- benelli m4 super 90 price
- benelli m4 semi-automatic
- benelli home defense shotgun
- Benelli M4 Super 90 Tactical shotgun
- Benelli m4 super 90 shotgun
- benelli m4 for home defense