I recently purchased a used 30-30 Marlin 336SS on GunBroker. Something I was curious about was when did Marlin Firearms manufacture the first Marlin 336 in stainless steel. After considerable searching I finally found a valuable and interesting list of Marlin 336 model variations. There is a wealth of information in this list found nowhere else on the Internet. See the original post of Marlin 336 Lever Action Models And Variations and list published by six_gunz on the Marlin Owners forum. The data shows that the first stainless model, the 336M was produced in 2000 to celebrate the millennium. All subsequent stainless steel 336 models bear the designator 336SS. My rifle serial number starts with 93 which denotes that it was manufactured in 2007 and makes it one of the last rifles built at the Connecticut plant before Marlin Firearms was acquired by Remington.
List Of 336 Lever Action Models And Variations
“MODEL 336 COWBOY
– .30-30 Win. (disc. 2001) or .38-55 WCF cal., 8 shot tube mag., squared off finger lever, 24 in. tapered octagon barrel with deep cut Ballard-type rifling (6 grooves), cut checkered (disc. 2001) straight grip walnut stock and forearm, adj. Marbles semi-buckhorn rear and carbine front sight, ser. no. is on left side of receiver, instead of on tang, 7 1/2 lbs. Mfg. 1999-2004.
MODEL 336 MAGNUM CARBINE
– .44 Mag. cal., 20 in. standard carbine configuration, w/o saddle ring. 2,823 mfg. 1963-64 only.
MODEL 336 MARAUDER
– .30-30 Win. or .35 Rem. cal., 16 1/4 in. barrel. 5,856 mfg. 1963-64.
MODEL 336 OCTAGON RIFLE
– .30-30 Win. cal. only, with 22 in. octagon barrel, standard model. 2,414 mfg. 1973 only.
MODEL 336 PRESENTATION RIFLE
– .30-30 Win. cal., one of the pair in the “Brace of 1,000,” 22 in. octagon barrel, engraved receiver, sold with Model 39 Presentation. Mfg. 1970 only.
MODEL 336 ZANE GREY CENTURY CARBINE
– .30-30 Win. cal., similar to 336 Octagon, 22 in. octagon barrel, Zane Grey medallion inlaid in receiver, select walnut stock, pistol grip, brass butt plate and forearm cap. 7,871 mfg. in 1971.
– improved 36A, .30-30 Win., .35 Rem., or .32 Special. cal., round breech bolt, 24 in. barrel with 2/3 mag. Mfg. 1948-1962, re-introduced 1973-1980.
MODEL 336A/336AS (30AS)
– .30-30 Win. cal. only, 20 in. barrel, 6 shot tube magazine, walnut finished birch stock (pressed checkering became standard 1995, cut checkering became standard 1994, open sights (adj. rear sight became standard 1995), no frills version of the 336CS, 7 lbs. Mfg. 1983-2007.
Model 336ADL (DELUXE)
– similar to Model 336A Rifle, except has deluxe checkered walnut stock and forearm, quick detachable swivels and 1 in. sling. Mfg. 1948-62.
MODEL 336C (CARBINE)
– .30-30 Win., .32 Special., or .35 Rem. cal., standard model carbine with 20 in. barrel. Mfg. 1969-83.
MODEL 336CS (CARBINE SAFETY)
– .30-30 Win. or .35 Rem. cal., 6 shot tube mag., 20 in. barrel, 336CS same as 336C but with cross bolt safety. American black walnut pistol grip stock (cut checkering became standard 1994), 7 lbs. Introduced 1984.
Model 336CC (STEALTH)
– similar to Model 336W, hardwood Mossy Oak Breakup camo stock and forearm, .30-30 cal., 7 lbs. Mfg. 2001-2004.
Mfg. 2000 (1000 made) 35 Rem. Serial Nos 336DXXX *Not cataloged*, Special Run for Davidson’s, Lettered from Marlin, checkered, 18.5″ ported round barrel
MODEL 336DT (DELUXE TEXAN)
– .30-30 Win. or .35 Rem. cal., select stock version of 336T, longhorn and map of Texas carved on butt stock. Mfg. 1962-63.
MODEL 336ER (EXTRA RANGE)
– .356 Win. cal., 5 shot tube mag., 20 in. barrel, walnut pistol grip stock, open sights, 7 lbs. 2,441 mfg. 1983-86.
– .30-30 Win. cal. only, 16 1/4 in. barrel, 5 shot tube mag., 6 1/2 lbs. 2,671 mfg. 1988-89 only.
This was the 1st year 336 stainless model soon changed to 336SS.
The “M” designated for Millennium (2000)
MODEL 336RC (REGULAR CARBINE)
– .30-30 Win., .32 Special., or .35 Rem. cal., standard model carbine. Mfg. 1948-68.
MODEL 336SC .219 ZIPPER
– similar to Model 336SC, in .219 Zipper cal., 5 shot mag. 3,230 mfg. 1955-60.
MODEL 336SC (SPORTING CARBINE)
– similar to Model 336C, with 20 in. barrel and 2/3 length mag. tube, raised comb butt stock (1957-63). Mfg. 1948-63.
MODEL 336SD (SPORTING DELUXE)
– .30-30 Win., .32 Special., or .35 Rem. cal., deluxe sporting carbine with 20 in. barrel, checkered stock and forearm, raised comb, no cheek piece, quick detachable swivels and 1 in. sling. Mfg. 1954-62.
MODEL 336SS (336M= 1st year)
– .30-30 Win. cal. only, similar to Model 336W/30AW, except is stainless steel, 6 shot tube mag., 7 lbs. New 2000.
MODEL 336T (.44MAG)
– .44 Mag. cal., with saddle ring, 13,895 mfg. 1965-67.
MODEL 336T (TEXAN)
– .30-30 Win., .35 Rem., or .44 Mag. (1965-1967 only) cal., similar to 336C, with straight stock,
Some models have a 18 1/2 barrel (1980 – 1983) or 20 in. barrel, saddle ring (1965-1971 only). Mfg. 1954-83.
MODEL 336TS (TEXAN SAFETY)
– similar to 336 CS, except is .30-30 Win. cal., 18 1/2 in. barrel, straight grip stock and squared finger lever, Same as 336T but with cross-bolt safety. Mfg. 1984-87.
Model 336W (30AW)
– similar to Model 30AS, except has carbine style barrel band, hardwood stock and gold trigger.
– .30-30 Win. or .35 Rem. cal., features stainless steel construction with 24 in. barrel, Ballard rifling, fluted bolt, 5 shot mag., black/grey laminate stock with deluxe recoil pad, adj. folding semi-buckhorn rear sight, hammer block safety, 7 1/2 lbs. New 2006.
Model 336Y (SPIKEHORN)
– Youth model, similar to Model 336C, but has a shorter walnut stock (12 1/2 in. LOP) with vent recoil pad, 5 shot tube magazine, 16 1/2 in. barrel, 6 1/2 lbs. Mfg. 2003″